Direct website link: www.lycc.cc
In 1924, an 18-hole golf course designed by Devereaux Emmet began operation as the Lawrence Country Club, a private club. The property was lost to foreclosure brought on by the Great Depression, in 1936; and to avoid it's redevelopment with residential housing which would have caused a terrible strain on local police, fire, sanitation and school services. The Village of Lawrence acquired the property with the express purpose of continuing it's operation as a golf course until 1960, the Village operated the facility as a public golf course on a daily greens fee basis, open to all residents and non-residents alike.
In 1960, at the insistence of the members of the Lawrence Golf Club (a private organization of golfers who played at the Village facility), the course was closed to daily greens fee play and designated as a "self-sustaining improvement" under New York State Law supported principally by annual membership fees. The Village government appointed a Park Commission to operate the facility as the "Lawrence Village Country Club" and under its aegis a large new Clubhouse was constructed. The old frame clubhouse was demolished and in its place, a tennis facility was completed in July 1966 and was subsequently enlarged to contain, at present, nine Har-tru courts and a separate small clubhouse.
In 1967, work began on a complete re-design of the golf course by Joe Finger, utilizing additional acreage, which the Village had acquired to lengthen the course to its present 6500 yards. The project, which left only one hole unchanged, was completed in 1969. In 1996, the Club House was enlarged and redesigned.
In 1998, two new holes (numbers 14 and 15) were built in a portion of the Village's nature preserve, replacing the old holes (numbers 10 and 11), which were converted to a state of the art heated indoor and outdoor driving range, practice and teaching facility.
The entire facility, which includes a 136 slip marina on Bannister Creek, in addition to the golf course and tennis courts, as well as the main Club House and separate tennis and marina clubhouses, is still governed by the Village's Park Commission.